I found this recipe from Oh She Glows years ago and it continues to be my favorite summer cookie (they also happen to be vegan and GF). The macaroons are slightly crunchy on the outside with a pleasantly chewy inside. The coconut butter and maple syrup combo creates a wonderfully buttery, chewy texture and naturally sweet flavor. Then you’ve got a homemade chia berry jam in the center for some freshness.
Click here for original recipe from Oh She Glows
1.5 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
1 cup almond flour or meal
scant 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut butter (not oil, BUTTER)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chia jam ingredients:
3 cups frozen berries (you pick the berry)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chia jam:
1. Place frozen berries and maple syrup in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. After 5 minutes of simmering, add the chia seeds and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes or until it thickens up.
2. Put the mixture into the fridge so the chia seeds have time to absorb the liquids and get even thicker. I put them in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Just make sure it’s not super runny and you’ll be fine.
For the macaroons:
1. Combine almond flour, coconut and salt in a bowl
2. Add the maple syrup and coconut butter into a small sauce pan and heat on very low heat until the coconut butter has completely melted with the maple syrup. Make sure not to burn the coconut butter — stir it very often. Then add the vanilla extract.
3. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix until uniform. The batter is pretty sloppy and wet, but that’s normal.
4. Grab about 2 tbsp of the batter and plop in onto a baking sheet linted with parchment. Then, using a wet finger, make small indentations into each macaroon.
5. Take the chia jam out of the fridge and plop little globs of the jam into the indentations.
6. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Then rotate the pan and cook another 20 minutes. Sometimes I end up baking them for shorter or longer depending on the size. They are done once the edges are golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or platter.
The perfect bite:
The sweetness from the maple syrup and chunky coconut flakes combined with the buttery, chewiness from the coconut butter with a fresh fruity jam…MAGICAL